Revealing the Past, Knowing the Present, and Grounding the Future.
Frank Andersen was born in Warwick, Queensland, Australia on 28 July, 1925. He holds a Doctor of Philosophy from The Johns Hopkins University, 1960, for a thesis entitled Studies in Hebrew Syntax and a Doctor of Divinity (honoris causa) from The Church Divinity School of the Pacific, Berkeley, California 1972.
He has held a number of professorial positions in Old Testament Literature, Hebrew (Ugaritic), History and Religion in California and Australia. In 1993 he retired as Professor of Old Testament, New College for Advanced Christian Studies, Berkeley, California where he continues as Professor at Large. In 1987 he was honoured with a Festschrift entitled Perspectives on Language and Text: Essays and Poems in Honor of Francis I. Andersen's Sixtieth Birthday, Edgar W. Conrad and Edward G. Newing (eds.), (Winona Lake: Eisenbrauns, 1987).
Frank has written commentaries on Job, Hosea, Jeremiah, Amos, Habakkuk and Micah: in all he has 43 volumes and over 90 papers published. He has made major contributions to the understanding of the Hebrew language and continues to work with Dean Forbes on a Hebrew Grammar that encapsulates 37 years of his research. The data-bank associated with this is now being purveyed by the LOGOS Corporation.
Frank first joined the Council of the Australian Institute of Archaeology in 1951 and has served on it a number of times until 2000. In 1974 he was a Research Scholar at the Institute completing a commentary on Job, and in 1999 he was editor of Buried History.
Emeritus Professor of Ancient History
Edwin was born in Christchurch on 27 January 1928 and was educated at Christchurch Boys High School and Canterbury University College. After a short period of teaching he travelled to England where he completed the Classical tripos at Kings College Cambridge graduating with first class honours and the Hulsean Prize for an essay entitled, The Social Patterns of Christian Groups in the First Century. This paper was later published by Tyndale Press and is still referenced.
Professor Judge has published many papers since that time. His work has often been carried out by invitation and has in his own words been more like work in progress than a dissertation. Many of these works are now being republished and are the subject of ongoing analysis demonstrating that he was often ahead of his time.
After returning from England Edwin was appointed Lecturer and Reader in History at Sydney University. In 1969 he became Professor of History at Macquarie University, a post he held until 1993. While in this position Edwin played an important role in the development of the ancient history syllabus in NSW secondary schools, something that was subsequently developed in Victoria. He sponsored the development of the Museum of Ancient Cultures at Macquarie University and was the first Director of the Ancient History Research Centre also at Macquarie University.
Prof Judge has received many honours. He is an Emertius Professor and Honorary Professorial Fellow in History of Macquarie University, he has a Doctor of Letters from Macquarie University, is a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Humanities and he is a Member of the Order of Australia.
Alan R. Millard
Emeritus Professor and Honorary Senior Fellow,
University of Liverpool
Alan Millard (born 1937) is Rankin Professor Emeritus of Hebrew and Ancient Semitic languages, and Honorary Senior Fellow (Ancient Near East), at the School of Archaeology, Classics and Egyptology (SACE) in the University of Liverpool.
Professor Millard worked on excavations at Tell Nebi Mend (ancient Qadesh-on-the-Orontes) and Tell Rif'at (ancient Arpad) in Syria, at Petra in Jordan and at the Assyrian capital Nimrud (ancient Kalḫu) in Iraq. While working at the British Museum 1961–1964, he rediscovered the Epic of Atrahasis, which had lain unrecognised in a drawer for some decades. From 1964 to 1970 he was Librarian at Tyndale House, Cambridge, and taught Akkadian for a year at the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) in the University of London. In 1970 he was appointed Rankin Lecturer in Hebrew and Ancient Semitic Languages at Liverpool. He was a Fellow at the Institute of Advanced Studies (IAS) in the Hebrew University of Jerusalem in 1984, studying in a team led by Yigael Yadin.
His main interest lies in Semitic epigraphy, and in editing Akkadian cuneiform tablets and Aramaic inscriptions. Scribal practices in the ancient Near East remain a dominant concern for him; the importance he ascribes to this topic stems largely from his belief as an Evangelical Christian in the essential historicity of the Bible – a point of view he shares with his colleague at Liverpool, the Egyptologist Kenneth Kitchen.
Alanis a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London, a member of the Society for Old Testament Studies – and was also, until recently, Vice-Chairman of the British School of Archaeology in Iraq.